Wednesday, September 21, 2005

An ADD News Nation

As I went online this morning to check the recent headlines I was shocked to discover that Hurricane Rita, after blowing through the Florida Keys at a relatively mild category two, had jumped up to a category four as it moves toward Texas and Louisiana. I was concerned to see this but to also immediately wondered, "Well, what else can I write about?" because I, along with many others, seem to have been blogging on and reading about hurricanes constantly for the past week. Suddenly it hit me how directed by space bias we really have become. Not only do we want fast news, we want a great quantity of new-news quicker. The story about Hurricane Rita wasn't even an hour old, as the website so kindly informed me, yet I wanted something, if not quite as recent, different. If the news doesn't directly affect us we quickly lose interest and want something new to worry about and examine and dissect. We have become people of short attention spans and so ruled by space bias we don't even realize it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home