Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Freedom at what cost?

The latest headlines: "Wave of Violence in Iraq kills at least 151", "12 Explosions in Iraq kill over 150". With breaking news such as this one must ask, at what price does freedom come? I'm not going to comment on whether or now I believe Bush made a good choice in sending troops to Iraq- the deed is done, nothing I say, do, or argue will change it. It's interesting to think that the insurgents in Iraq actually think they're going to get their way through violence and terror. One has only to look at history to realize that this is not an effective means. Although control has at times been momentarily won through violence and terror, it is always short-lived. As these insurgents and terrorists continue to bomb and kidnap and kill and their actions are reported through the media, the world, and Iraq and America in particular, become more determined not to heed them. Athough the insurgents probably think media coverage is helping to get their point across and show the world that they're serious, and even really strike fear into others, I think it's strengthening the resolve of Iraq to build a democracy and not give into terror. I just hope the American media doesn't stop covering what's going on over there once we finally pull our troops out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home