Sunday, September 04, 2005

Relief efforts

One complaint you hear from many American people is the lack of positive news in the media. I know people who will not watch the nightly news and sometimes don't read newspapers because they know that if they do the news that is reported will simply depress them. To be honest, I've agreed with this myself at times, however, I'm also aware that news of devastation, calamity, criticism and scandal sells. The past few days as I've been reading newspapers such as the London Times, USA Today, Dallas Morning News, New York Times, etc., I've noticed again the lack of positive news. The papers are full of criticisms of the poor choices of Bush and his administration, the lack of organization with the local police forces in New Orleans, and just a general poor handling of the situation with Hurricane Katarina. I do definitely think that there is some criticism due to local and national US officials, there has been poor handling of the situation, but at the same time the way the American people are arising to help those affected by the hurricane is admirable. I have seen virtually no news reports on the convoys of buses of American citizens headed to New Orleans to help in the relief effort. I have seen no reports on the American citizens who have opened there homes to those who have lost their own. I have seen no reports on the business and corporations giving money, food, and water to those without. This is a disaster on a scale of which we are only beginning to comprehend, but as more and more Americans begin to realize the severity of the situation they contribute whatever they can to the relief effort. I'm not saying the media shouldn't criticize Bush and national and local officials in their relief efforts, I'm just saying that they should begin to recognize all that the nation is doing to help fellow Americans. This is a time when our nation's morale needs to be boosted, not beaten down further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home